Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I saw Ina make this on her show entitled "Picnic at the Pond". Don't leave out the anchovies; it's what makes the dressing wonderful!
- 3⁄4 lb pancetta, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature*
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 -10 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups good mild olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the pancetta into 1/2-inch cubes and cook it in a skillet over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned and crisp. (Pancetta is Italian bacon. You can find it in your Italian grocery or a specialty food store. Ask that it's cut 1/2-inch thick.).
- Remove to paper towels and drain.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft.
- Wash the lettuce leaves carefully and spin-dry in a salad spinner.
- Stack the leaves on a cutting board and cut them crosswise into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- Place them in a large mixing bowl.
- For the dressing, place the egg yolk (*if you're nervous about raw egg yolks, substitue 2 tablespoons of real mayonnaise), mustard, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Process until smooth.
- With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube (as though you were making mayonnaise), until thick.
- Add the 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and pulse 3 times.
- Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to moisten well.
- Add 1 cup grated Parmesan and toss.
- Divide the lettuce among 6 or 8 plates and sprinkle with the pancetta roasted tomatoes. Serve at room temperature.