I saw Ina make this on her show entitled "Picnic at the Pond". Don't leave out the anchovies; it's what makes the dressing wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb pancetta, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large head romaine lettuce
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature*
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 8 -10 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups good mild olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Cut the pancetta into 1/2-inch cubes and cook it in a skillet over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until browned and crisp. (Pancetta is Italian bacon. You can find it in your Italian grocery or a specialty food store. Ask that it's cut 1/2-inch thick.).
- 3Remove to paper towels and drain.
- 4Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet and coat with olive oil.
- 5Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6Roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until soft.
- 7Wash the lettuce leaves carefully and spin-dry in a salad spinner.
- 8Stack the leaves on a cutting board and cut them crosswise into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- 9Place them in a large mixing bowl.
- 10For the dressing, place the egg yolk (*if you're nervous about raw egg yolks, substitue 2 tablespoons of real mayonnaise), mustard, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- 11Process until smooth.
- 12With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube (as though you were making mayonnaise), until thick.
- 13Add the 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and pulse 3 times.
- 14Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to moisten well.
- 15Add 1 cup grated Parmesan and toss.
- 16Divide the lettuce among 6 or 8 plates and sprinkle with the pancetta roasted tomatoes. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Caesar Salad With Pancetta
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.0
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 1006.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: