I saw Ina make this on her food network television show, the episode was entitled "Weekend Lunch."
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot (2 large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes.
- You should have about 6 cups.
- Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender.
- Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan.
- Leave it on low heat to simmer.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes.
- Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock.
- Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total.
- Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan.
- Mix well and serve.