1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa's Butternut Squash Risotto
I saw Ina make this on her food network television show, the episode was entitled "Weekend Lunch."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1/2 cup minced shallot (2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes.
- 3You should have about 6 cups.
- 4Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 5Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan.
- 8Leave it on low heat to simmer.
- 9In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned.
- 10Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter.
- 11Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- 12Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 13Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 14Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes.
- 15Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock.
- 16Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total.
- 17Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan.
- 18Mix well and serve.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa's Butternut Squash Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 884.9
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.6 mg
- Sodium 915.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 27.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: