1/1 Photo of Barefoot Contessa Coconut Cake and Frosting - Ina Garten
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was adapted by Ina Garten from her signature coconut cupcakes. Copied from YourGoodHouse magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces sweetened flaked coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 9-inch round cake pans, then line with parchment paper. Grease again and dust lightly with flour.
- 2Prepare cake: Cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 3-5 minutes. Crack eggs into a small bowl. With mixer on medium speed, add eggs 1 at a time, scraping down bowl once during mixing. Add vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. Don't be concerned if the mixture looks curdled.
- 3In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- 4With mixer on low, alternately add dry ingredients and milk to the the batter. Mix until just combined. Fold in the coconut.
- 5Pour batter into prepared pans, smoothing the top. Bake in center of oven 40-50 minutes, until tops are brown and cake tester comes out clean. Cool on baking rack for 30 minutes before removing cakes from pans.
- 6Prepare frosting: Mix cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond extract. Add confectioners sugar and mix until just smooth (don't whip).
- 7Assemble cake by placing one layer, top side down, and spreading it with frosting. Place second layer on top of the first. Frost tops and sides. Sprinkle cake lightly with coconut.
- 8Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa Coconut Cake and Frosting - Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.8
- Calories from Fat 423
- Total Fat 47.0 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 167.7 mg
- Sodium 289.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 61.5 g
- Protein 7.3 g