1/2 Photos of Barefoot Contessa Chicken Bouillabaisse
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Sarita in Austin Texas's Note:
Recipe came from Barefoot Contessa show on Food Network. I have interchanged the dry white wine with Sherry when I am out of white wine. The spanish thread Saffron is pretty expensive (about $20 for an amount the size of a quarter dollar!) but I have also been able to interchange it with powder saffron that is sold at ethnic stores, the taste is a little different though. You can add a little more chicken stock if you want a little more sauce to dip your crusty bread in. I have found that having everything ready will make this dish a little easier to complete (i.e: having your stock ready, your veggies peeled and sliced, your ingredients ready). I used my Le Creuset 5 quart buffet pan for this and it worked perfectly for this dish! From stove to oven to table!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaf
- olive oil
- 1 large head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 1/2-2 cups good chicken stock, preferably homemade
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons Pernod
- 1 lb baby yukon gold potato, sliced (about 1/4 in thick but no too thin)
- 1Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season it generously with salt, pepper, and the rosemary. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven and brown the chicken pieces in batches until nicely browned all over, about 5 to 7 minutes per batch. Transfer the browned chicken pieces to a plate and set aside.
- 2Lower the heat to medium-low and add the garlic, saffron, fennel seeds, tomato puree, chicken stock, white wine, Pernod, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper to the pot. Sir and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the garlic is very tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 4Carefully pour the sauce into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Puree until smooth. Return the sauce to the Dutch oven and add the sliced potatoes and browned chicken pieces with their juices. Stir carefully.
- 5Cover the pot and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is done. Check the seasonings and add small extra amount of stock if you want a thinner sauce. Serve hot in shallow bowls with slices of crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barefoot Contessa Chicken Bouillabaisse
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.1
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 111.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: