Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish gets its name because you only need three very basic ingredients but boy does it taste good! It's important to leave the potatoes unrinsed, to make sure the pieces stick together when you turn the "cake" out of its pan.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F or 220 degrees C.
- Scrub or peel the potatoes.
- Use a mandoline or the cucumber slicer on a cheese grater to slice the potatoes about 1/4 cm thick.
- Do not rinse.
- Use one third of the butter to grease a round cake tin on the bottom and the sides.
- Layer the potatoes in the dish, seasoning with salt and pepper and bits of butter as you go.
- Make sure to save some butter for the top.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then lower the heat to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C and cook for another 15-30 minutes.
- When the top slices are crisp and golden brown test to see if the middle feels tender when pierced with a knife.
- When the potatoes are cooked, run a knife around the inside of the pan to ensure the potatoes aren't stuck anywhere.
- Place a plate over the cake tin and quickly invert.
- To make a garnish, finely chop the garlic and parsley.
- Mix together, sprinkle over the hot potato cake and serve.