Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I know. One more recipe for popcorn balls, but I looked, and this is the most basic you can get. I made two batches, one with two handfuls of unsalted peanuts.
- Combine molasses and sugar in a saucepan.
- Grease a large mixing bowl and put in popped popcorn. Grease a mixing spoon. Set aside.
- Combine molasses and sugar in a saucepan. Stirring constantly, heat over medium-high heat until just about boiling.
- Pour over popcorn and mix well. Add peanuts if desired at this point.
- Let cool a little (take the kids to wash their hands - that will take just the right amount of time!).
- Press popcorn into balls. (Kids love this!).
- Eat what sticks on your hands.
Yum! This recipe provides just the right ratio of molasses:sugar. We just wanted this as a topping instead of making popcorn balls, so we decreased the amount of sugar and molasses by half, and added a small pinch of salt over the bowl of popcorn before eating. Thanks for sharing!
This is definitely simple, and I don't think anyone can mess it up. If you enjoy molasses, then these are chewy and wonderful. I know so many who don't, so I made a test batch at home by halving the recipe. Still worked great, I got about 6 balls. From reading other recipes, greasing up hands worked, too.