Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I inherited a old recipe from a family friend for a traditional (read unhealthy) zucchini and set about fixing it and making it just a bit different. I use cherries as I spent my summers in Northern Michigan eating the cherries right off the trees but feel free to mix it up according to your tastes - my sons favorite is cherry and chocolate chip and my husband prefers chocolate pecan. The recipe can handle up to 2 cups of "add-ins"
- 473.18 ml zucchini, shredded
- 236.59 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 59.14 ml soy oil or 59.14 ml canola oil or 59.14 ml blended vegetable oil
- 177.44-236.59 ml sugar (I have used all kinds including natural fruit derived sugars and they all work, amount of sugar is u)
- 3 eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml white whole wheat flour
- 9.85 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 236.59 ml dried cherries
- 236.59 ml pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine eggs, applesauce, oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Add in flour, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon and mix until just combined.
- Fold in dried cherries and pecans (if using).
- Pour into 2 8 X 5 loaf pans or 24 lined muffin cups.
- Bake 15-20 minutes for muffins or 25-30 minutes for loaves - be sure not to over bake!
- Let cool in pans 5 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool completely for eat warm.