Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Barb always serves this easy dip whenever we come over to visit. It is great and disappears quickly. She uses Mexican flavor Velveeta and regular canned chopped tomatoes, but I can't find Mexican Velveeta where I live currently. Here is my adaptation of her recipe, using tomatoes with chilies. This is not very spicy, but it does have a little kick from the chilies. If you like it even hotter, stir in some additional chilies. Cook time will vary greatly for different microwaves, so be careful to check & stir often the first time you make this to get the timing right. You can also use salsa in place of the tomatoes.
- Thaw spinach briefly- just enough to break it up into small pieces.
- (If your spinach has already thawed or is almost thawed, drain off any liquid).
- Melt cheese in a large oval microwaveable dish according to package directions, about 5 minutes or so, stirring as needed.
- Add chopped spinach and the can of tomatoes with chilies and stir well.
- Pop back into the microwave and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything has blended together and is heated through, maybe another 5-10 minutes.