Barb always serves this easy dip whenever we come over to visit. It is great and disappears quickly. She uses Mexican flavor Velveeta and regular canned chopped tomatoes, but I can't find Mexican Velveeta where I live currently. Here is my adaptation of her recipe, using tomatoes with chilies. This is not very spicy, but it does have a little kick from the chilies. If you like it even hotter, stir in some additional chilies. Cook time will vary greatly for different microwaves, so be careful to check & stir often the first time you make this to get the timing right. You can also use salsa in place of the tomatoes.
- Thaw spinach briefly- just enough to break it up into small pieces.
- (If your spinach has already thawed or is almost thawed, drain off any liquid).
- Melt cheese in a large oval microwaveable dish according to package directions, about 5 minutes or so, stirring as needed.
- Add chopped spinach and the can of tomatoes with chilies and stir well.
- Pop back into the microwave and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything has blended together and is heated through, maybe another 5-10 minutes.