Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have been making this hearty soup for as long as I have been cooking. My mom and my grandmother always made soup like this,it does take time but worth it. My family loves this soup & looks forward to coming to dinner when I say, I'm making soup. It is loaded with vegetables. A great to use left over vegetables.
- 2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon beef base (such as McCormick)
- 5 -6 cups water (more water if needed})
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup green beans, 1 inch long
- 1⁄2 cup peas, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced (may use other squash)
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄3 cup orzo pasta or 1⁄3 cup other small shell pasta
- salt and pepper
- Brown stew meat in a large stew pot sprayed with cooking spray; add the chopped onion, bay leaves and the water; cook until meat is tender.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, and cook until just tender.
- Add canned tomatoes, green beans, peas, corn, squash, cabbage, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let simmer( just bubble) 45 to 55 minutes so that flavors can blend.
- Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender, taste & adjust spices.
- Serve with your farorite cornbread or crusty bread, enjoy.
This was fantastic soup! Instead of noodles, I added barley. I soaked about 1 1/2 cups barley in a bowl of water. That way they would be plumped up from water & not all the yummy stock. When i added the barley, it prevented the barley from turning into a mushy mess. LOVED IT!!! My kids ate every single veggie loaded into the soup without any complaints-delicious! 04/30/10 (update) I LOVE this recipe! Made it for the Crockpot - just fried the meat ahead of time. Threw it all together, cooked on Low for 8 hours & it was perfect!!!! Also, i only had 1 can of tomatoes, so this time I topped it up w/ tomatoe juice....turned out fantastic again!!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe!
This was amazing, Barb Gertz, and out of such beautifully simple ingredients! I used meaty beef bones and liberally sprinkled them with kosher salt while browning. I omitted the green beans and cabbage. I used little star pasta and added a little extra peas and corn. So awesome!!!
Barb, this soup is so tasty! Even though it's 100 degrees outside, I was craving some vegetable soup. Used lean ground beef in place of stew meat and used up some frozen brussels sprouts, asparagus and yellow squash I had in the freezer in addition to the other veggies (except left out the celery since I didn't have it). I made a half recipe and added thyme. So delicious!! I thought the 1/2 recipe would serve more than 4-5, but after 2 large bowls for supper tonight, I think serving size is right! : )