1/2 Photos of Barb's Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
3 hrs 45 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
I have been making this hearty soup for as long as I have been cooking. My mom and my grandmother always made soup like this,it does take time but worth it. My family loves this soup & looks forward to coming to dinner when I say, I'm making soup. It is loaded with vegetables. A great to use left over vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon beef base (such as McCormick)
- 5 -6 cups water (more water if needed})
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup green beans, 1 inch long
- 1/2 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup corn, frozen
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced (may use other squash)
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta or 1/3 cup other small shell pasta
- salt and pepper
- 1Brown stew meat in a large stew pot sprayed with cooking spray; add the chopped onion, bay leaves and the water; cook until meat is tender.
- 2Add celery, carrots, potatoes, and cook until just tender.
- 3Add canned tomatoes, green beans, peas, corn, squash, cabbage, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- 4Let simmer( just bubble) 45 to 55 minutes so that flavors can blend.
- 5Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender, taste & adjust spices.
- 6Serve with your farorite cornbread or crusty bread, enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barb's Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 75.9 mg
- Sodium 99.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 25.0 g