This is my recipe for gumbo. I have made it with shrimp or chicken. We like it either way. You can make it as spicy as you like . We do not care for it to spicy or hot.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or cayenne pepper or to your taste.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canned corn or 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2-1 lb shrimp, cleaned & shells off
- Add oil to skillet, heat over medium heat add the flour, to make a roux.
- (It is ready when it's color matches that of a penney).
- This may take about 15 minutes.
- Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and black pepper.
- Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or till vegetables are crisp tender.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, corn, okra, Basil, thyme, cumin and bay leaf.
- Bring to boiling point; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add SHRIMP during the last 5 minutes.
- Serve over Rice.
- This can also be made with chicken, if using chicken.
- Use chicken breast cut in chunks Add during the last 20 to 30 minute cooking time.
- Smoked sausage is also good added with the chicken.
- I have added a can of crabmeat to the shrimp version.