1/6 Photos of Barb's Gumbo
1 hr 5 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This is my recipe for gumbo. I have made it with shrimp or chicken. We like it either way. You can make it as spicy as you like . We do not care for it to spicy or hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or cayenne pepper or to your taste.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned corn or 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups okra, sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2-1 lb shrimp, cleaned & shells off
- 1Add oil to skillet, heat over medium heat add the flour, to make a roux.
- 2(It is ready when it's color matches that of a penney).
- 3This may take about 15 minutes.
- 4Stir in onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, and black pepper.
- 5Cook over medium heat about 3 minutes or till vegetables are crisp tender.
- 6Gradually stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, corn, okra, Basil, thyme, cumin and bay leaf.
- 7Bring to boiling point; reduce heat.
- 8Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- 9Add SHRIMP during the last 5 minutes.
- 10Serve over Rice.
- 11This can also be made with chicken, if using chicken.
- 12Use chicken breast cut in chunks Add during the last 20 to 30 minute cooking time.
- 13Smoked sausage is also good added with the chicken.
- 14I have added a can of crabmeat to the shrimp version.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barb's Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (659 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 71.4 mg
- Sodium 1292.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 15.7 g