Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been making these pickles for a long time they are a farorite of family & friends.
Make and share this Barbs Bread & Butter Pickles recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs cucumbers, cut into thin slices
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced (about 8small)
- 1⁄3 cup canning salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl.
- Layer with salt and cover with ice cubes; let stand for 1 1/2 hours; drain and rinse.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to boil.
- Pack hot into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles by running a knife down edges; adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.
What a fabulous recipe! Did add a heaping teaspoon of coriander & about a 1/4 cup sliced yellow jalapenos & a 2 inch knob of thinly sliced fresh ginger with sliced cucumbers but otherwise followed recipe as written. Total keeper! Thank you for a wonderful full-flavored but not overly sweet or sour recipe! Used white vinegar. Doubled recipe for 7 quarts! Yum! Can't wait to try this winter on a ham & cheese sandwich or on the side of a ploughman's lunch! KEEPER!
These are wonderful! Not too salty, not too sweet. I added some green and red bell pepper and some coriander seeds like one reviewer mentioned.
I was afraid at first they might be too salty because I rinsed and rinsed and they were still very salty all the way through. But once you get them brined and cured overnight everything balances out and they're perfect.
Thank you Barb. I love your recipes!
I had Barb's Bread and Butter Pickles... What a treat!!! Not too sour, not too sweet, done just right. I advise to try this recipe!!