Recipe by Barb G.
I have been making these pickles for a long time they are a farorite of family & friends.
Top Review by Buster's friend
What a fabulous recipe! Did add a heaping teaspoon of coriander & about a 1/4 cup sliced yellow jalapenos & a 2 inch knob of thinly sliced fresh ginger with sliced cucumbers but otherwise followed recipe as written. Total keeper! Thank you for a wonderful full-flavored but not overly sweet or sour recipe! Used white vinegar. Doubled recipe for 7 quarts! Yum! Can't wait to try this winter on a ham & cheese sandwich or on the side of a ploughman's lunch! KEEPER!
- 4 lbs cucumbers, cut into thin slices
- 2 lbs onions, thinly sliced (about 8small)
- 1⁄3 cup canning salt
- 3 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl.
- Layer with salt and cover with ice cubes; let stand for 1 1/2 hours; drain and rinse.
- Place remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to boil.
- Pack hot into jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Remove air bubbles by running a knife down edges; adjust caps.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.