Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From my aunt Barb. Easily the easiest, best cacciatore recipe I have ever had. Super tasty with pasta or polenta.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 6 or 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, chopped (good if you like green pepper taste, I don't use it) (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except chicken in saucepan and simmer 15 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces in 9 x 13 inch pan, skin side up.
- Salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce mixture over chicken.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours in 350° preheated oven, uncovered.
- Do not stir or turn chicken.
- Chicken will be brown.
- Serve with pasta or rice or polenta.
I used already cooked and shredded chicken, so i just sauted the veggies (used fresh mushrooms and added an onion), added the tom paste, stock and chicken then simmered. Served with rice and it was soooo good.
I increased the recipe by half and used 2 large chicken stock cubes with 3 cups of water. It was absolutely delicious and very easy to make. Thanks for the great recipe!
Easy and delicious. However, I recommend following the amounts as listed because I added too much liquid. It's perfect without any changes.