Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a tender and juciy roasted chicken. The sauce for this is thick and clings to the chicken when it is spooned over it. I don't smear it on, I just let it run down the chicken and make sure to cover the entire surface.
- 1 whole chicken (4 - 5 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (less if desired)
- 2 cups Heinz ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (more if desired)
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 -2 tablespoon vinegar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Rinse chicken in cold water.
- Let it sit in a collander until it stops dripping, then dry with paper towels.
- Remove visible fat.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt inside and out.
- Place 1/2 stick of butter under the skin of each side of the breast.
- Place in a roasting pan (on roasting rack, optional).
- Bake for 1 hour.
- In the mean time, make sauce by adding all sauce ingredients to a sauce pan and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and allow the sauce to simmer while the chicken cooks, stirring occassionally.
- After 1 hour, remove chicken from oven and spoon the sauce over the entire roasted chicken.
- Reduce oven temp to 350º F.
- Return to the oven and finish cooking until done, usually 15 to 30 minutes, depending on size the size of the chicken.
- Let stand 5- 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve as desired.
Chicken, just a plain old bird with a whole lot of flair! This was great and easy and really good. Great directions too. Thanks!
I give this bbq sauce part 10 stars. I don't always use it on a roasted chicken, but I use it alot. My family prefers this over any store bought brand. It doubles or triples well.