Recipe by Shrek278
Just like the one served at the Brown Hotel in Louisville, KY. The greatest Hot Brown Casserole ever.
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt & pepper
- 16 slices white bread (toasted)
- 16 slices turkey
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add flour stirring to make a roux. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Thorougly beat eggs, beat in the milk.
- While stirring, slowly add the milk/egg to the butter mixture.
- Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesean cheese. Cook until mixture thickens but does not boil. This will take about 30 to 40 minutes. Mixture should heavily coat spoon. Remove from heat.
- Fold in whipping cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Trim crust from bread. Toast in a regular toaster.
- Line the bottom of a 9x13 casserole pan and a 8x8 casserole pan. Usually 6 slices for the 9x13 and 4 slices for the 8x8.
- Top with slices of turkey.
- Cover with the sauce, dividing the sauce between the 2 dishes. If using one large casserole dish the spread all of the sauce over the turkey.
- Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesean cheese and paprika.
- Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While casserole is baking fry and crumble bacon or use pre cooked bacon bits.
- Toast remaining slices of bread. Cut in half diagonally.
- After removing the casserole from the oven placed toasted bread around the outer edge "point side up".
- Garnish with the bacon bits and diced tomatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve while hot. Serves 8.