Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
A tasty jam made from barberries.
- 2 lbs barberries
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sugar
- 1⁄2 pint diluted cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Wash and stem fully ripe berries.
- Make a sauce of the sugar and the diluted vinegar.
- Place the spices in a bag and add to the sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and cool.
- Then add the berries and heat slowly.
- Simmer till the berries are soft.
- Remove from heat, cover and place into the refrigerator to cool, allowing to remain overnight. Next day remove the spice bag and pour off the sauce.
- Pack the berries into hot, sterile jars.
- Heat the syrup just to the boiling point, then pour the hot sauce over the berries and seal.
- The jars should be allowed to age for 1 month before eating.