1/2 Photos of Barberry Rice
1 hr 10 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From the food and cooking of Spain, Africa and the middle east. Barberries can be found in middle eastern or international markets. Currants or dried cranberries could probably be substituted if you can't find them - but they're worth finding, as they lend a distinct tartness that goes well with the other flavors. (prep time does not include time needed to soak rice beforehand if you choose to do that, though I describe a shortcut method in the directions, as did a reviewer)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1ORIGINAL DIRECTIONS:.
- 2(alternative, quicker directions below).
- 3Wash the barberries in cold water to rinse.
- 4Heat 1 T of butter in a small frying pan and stir fry the raisins for 1-2 minutes.
- 5Add the barberries, stir fry for a few seconds and then add the sugar and half of the cinnamon and cumin.
- 6Cook briefly and set aside.
- 7Drain the rice and then boil it in a pan of salted water for 5 minutes, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes till almost cooked.
- 8Drain and rinse the rice in lukewarm water and wash and dry the pan.
- 9Heat half of the remaining butter in the pan, add 1 T water and stir in half of the rice.
- 10Blend the reserved rice with the remaining cinnamon and cumin and sprinkle over the top of the rice mixture.
- 11Dribble the remaining butter over and cover the pan with a clean dishtowel and secure with a tightly fitting lid, lifting the corners of the cloth back over the lid.
- 12Steam the rice over a very low heat for about 30-40 minutes.
- 13Just before serving, mix 3 T of the rice with the saffron water.
- 14QUICKER ALTERNATIVE:.
- 15Follow the first steps, through simmering the rice for 10 minutes. This worked nicely for me with just adding in the barberries and currants, sugar and spices that have been sauteed in the butter, along with the remaining butter and spices, stirring it into the almost-cooked rice at this point, putting the lid on and steaming on very low heat for about 20 minutes. The longer you let it steam, the more it develops a nice, slight crustiness.
- 16Spoon the rice on to a large, flat serving dish and sprinkle the saffron rice over the top to garnish.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barberry Rice
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 84.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: