Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
A great jelly made from barberries
Make and share this Barberry Jelly recipe from Food.com.
- Use only fully ripened fruit.
- Wash and stem the fruit and measure 8 cups worth.
- Place the fruit into a saucepan and mash.
- Add 1 cup of cold water and cook over moderate heat till the juice starts to flow (up to 10 minutes).
- Strain the juice through a jelly bag, and for each cup of juice add 1½ cups of sugar.
- Place the juice in a deep saucepan and mix in the sugar.
- Place over a high heat and bring to a boil. Hold at the boil for 15 minutes or till the mixture passes the jell sheeting test.
- Stir the mixture constantly in order to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Remove the mixture, skim off the red foam and pour the jelly into hot sterilized jelly jars.
- Seal while hot.