Recipe by Sharon123
These New Orleans-style sandwiches offer a wildly delicious mix of flavors: tangy barbeque sauce, spicy caramelized onions, and crispy lettuce and pickles. Make them vegan by using a vegan mayonnaise.
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained
- 1⁄2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls, split (or four 5-inch pieces of French baguette)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cajun seasoning (or your favorite spicy seasoning mix )
- 2 tablespoons garlic mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons regular mayonnaise
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- pickle, slices (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Press tofu gently with paper towels to remove excess water. Slice into 8 pieces and transfer to the baking dish. Spread with barbeque sauce and bake until firm and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Wrap rolls in foil and heat in the hot oven for last 10 minutes of cooking tofu.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and salt; cook until just beginning to brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Cover the skillet, lower the heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is browned and meltingly tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in Cajun seasoning.
- Open hot rolls and spread with mayonnaise. Stuff with tofu, onions, lettuce, tomato and pickle, if using.