1/1 Photo of Barbecued Tofu With Peppers and Onions
1 hr 5 mins
Anne Sainz's Note:
This was inspired by a recipe from Jeanne Lemlin's "Vegetarian Pleasures." I made some changes to it so it is simpler to make and is more in keeping with a Nutritarian eating style. This recipe takes a little more prep time than some of my other recipes but the end result is worth it. Pressing tofu: Cut it into 1/2 inch slices. Lay the slices out on a clean kitchen towel that has been folded in half or a couple of layers of paper towel. Fold the kitchen towel over the tofu slices or place additional paper towels on top. Cover with a small cutting board and place 6 to 8 cans on top to weight it down. Let tofu sit at least 30 minutes before cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon natural-style peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 small onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1Press tofu. See Anne Sainz’s notes above for more detailed instructions.
- 2Sauce: Mince garlic and place in medium bowl. Add peanut butter, ketchup, soy sauce, chili powder, mustard, molasses, vinegar and cayenne pepper. Wisk together until blended. Set aside.
- 3Cut up green pepper, onions and mushrooms. Add peas and set aside.
- 4Cut pressed tofu into 1/2 inch cubes and add to sauce. Toss gently with rubber spatula and set aside.
- 5Coat large covered frying pan with oil. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms and peas. Sauté until onions start to soften, adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking.
- 6Add tofu, walnuts and sauce mixture to frying pan and cook a few more minutes, stirring frequently. Add small amount of water if it gets too dry.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Tofu With Peppers and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.9
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 498.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g