Recipe by Aunt Cookie
This is adapted from a Moosewood recipe. I think that freezing, thawing, and pressing the liquid out of the tofu really improves the texture and makes it better able to absorb the sauce. I guess it's not strictly necessary to do it, though. :) Enjoy!
- 1 lb tofu, frozen, thawed, and pressed
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1 -2 tablespoon molasses or 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 4 -5 dashes Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- After pressing the excess moisture out of the tofu, chop it into cubes.
- Saute the onion, garlic and spices until the onions soften a bit.
- Add the pepper and saute until the peppers turn bright green (if using green peppers :)).
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients.
- Combine the sauteed vegetables and the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the tofu cubes in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, covered, at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- This is good with rice.