Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Very simple. Spice this chicken up or down according to your preference. Plan to start the chicken one day before you are going to cook it.
- 3 tablespoons sake or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce (or as much as suits your tastes)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 whole green onions, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces, cut breast pieces in half
- Combine marinade ingredients in a plastic zip-lock bag. Blend well.
- Add chicken pieces. Close bag.
- Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. (I have let the chicken sit for 48 hours - even better!).
- Turn the bag occasionally.
- Heat barbecue grill to med-high.
- Remove the chicken from the plastic bag.
- Pour the contents of the bag into a small saucepan.
- Bring the marinade to a BOIL. Simmer at least 5 minutes. Add a little water if sauce starts to get too thick.
- Throw the chicken on the grill. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn!
- Brush with reserved boiled marinade.
- Cook the chicken until the thigh/leg pieces are 180 degrees and the breasts are 170 degrees.