Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this in an old cookbook of mine. I tried this with a combination of ketchup, and BBQ sauce, and we liked the results.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups green beans
- Brown bacon in skillet until crisp, and then break into pieces, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Saute onions in the bacon drippings.
- Combine ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, worcestershire, and salt, and stir into bacon and onions.
- Pour mixture over green beans, and mix lightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until beans are tender.
Wow! This dish is wonderful -- beats green bean casserole any day of the week. DH loved this dish and so did I. Can't wait to try it on Company or take it to a pot luck -- I know it will be a hit. Served it with a rotisserie chicken and some corn, but it would be great with brisket or just about any meat dish. Made for Everyday is a Holiday tag, September, 2013.
This is absolutely amazingly good. I would never had thought about putting barbecue sauce on green beans and now my not be able to eat them any other way. They are like eating little bites of candy. To try to trim some of the calories I did use Splenda brown sugar and although the bacon is a major ingredient in this recipe I will probably cut that in half. (or maybe not) I used French style frozen beans but I think next time I'll use the whole green bean. Thank you so much for sharing this fantastic recipe. Made for PRMR