Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Got this from another mom. You can make this with or without the barbecue sauce. I also make it without the pepperoni sometimes. It's a nice change to the regular stromboli. Make a pizza sauce or garlice butter dip to go with it. Time does not include making bread dough or thawing frozen dough.
Top Review by anme
I made this today for the make it healthier game. What I did to make this more healthy was use a whole wheat bread dough, skip the butter and use cooking spray to help the powders stick to the dough. I used low cal BBQ sauce with 10 calories, 1 gram of carbs, and no fat per serving in each 2 tbs serving. I used turkey pepperoni by hormels with 17 slices being 80 calories, no carbs, and 4 grams of fat. I also used part-skim mozzarella to even more bring down the calories on this tasty meal. With all of that said and done this was still a great calzone!
- 1 lb bread dough, recipe for one loaf bread
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- italian seasoning (I use Pasta Sprinkle) or basil (I use Pasta Sprinkle)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (more or less to taste)
- 1 (16 ounce) package pepperoni slices (you won't use the whole package)
- 1⁄2-1 cup mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2-1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- You can use homemade bread dough or frozen bread dough that's been thawed. Roll out bread dough to make a rectangle: roughly 18-20" x 10-12" - dough should be thin.
- Melt butter and spread on dough.
- Sprinkle garlic and onion powder, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese over entire surface in the given order.
- Either spread the BBQ sauce over the entire dough or spread it down the middle, whatever your preference.
- Lay the pepperoni the width (long side) of the dough in 2-3 rows.
- Place shredded Mozzarella cheese on top of those layers (be careful not to do it too thick or it will 'run out' while baking).
- Roll up like you would for cinnamon rolls, sealing edges.
- Place seam side down on a cookie sheet lined w/parchment paper.
- Let dough rise 45 minutes before baking.
- Cut small slits in the top to vent.
- You may also brush top with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if so desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes. Time depends on your oven. If taken out too soon, it will be doughy in the middle-outside should be a dark (not burned) golden brown color.