Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is not a meal for polite company! Shrimp cooked in their shells with lots of spicy, buttery sauce- talk about GOOD! Serve with lots of crusty French bread to sop up the delicious sauce and a side salad. This comes from the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor from an August 1983 issue of Bon Apetit. The recipe was requested from Stephens & Martin restaurant in New Orleans. Not sure if the restaurant is still there, but I'm glad I saved the recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon red pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 lbs large shrimp, heads off, unshelled
- 1 1/2 cups clarified butter
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- fluted lemon slice (garnish) (optional)
- parsley sprig (garnish) (optional)
- 1Combine olive oil, lemon juice,brown sugar,Worcestershire and all seasonings in a large bowl, whisk well to blend, and let stand at room temperature several hours or overnight.( I like to let it stand overnight to allow the flavors to fully develop).
- 2Divide shrimp between 2 large deep skillets.
- 3Whisk oil mixture together to distribute seasonings evenly and pour oil mixture over shrimp, dividing evenly.
- 4Add 3/4 cup clarified butter to each skillet.
- 5Place over low heat and cook, stirring, just until shrimp are pink, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6Add 1/2 cup vermouth to each skillet and cook 3 minutes.
- 7Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with lemon and parsley sprigs, if desired.
- 8Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Shrimp- New Orleans' Style
Serving Size: 1 (567 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2072.5
- Calories from Fat 1622
- Total Fat 180.2 g
- Saturated Fat 48.1 g
- Cholesterol 813.2 mg
- Sodium 3159.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 93.7 g