Recipe by Alan in SW Florida
Spicy shrimp that get their fiery heat from a Cajun marinade. After reading the book "Exit To Eden", I came across this recipe for barbecued shrimp, "which was nothing short of fantastic", that sounded like the dish described in the story.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 2 lbs large shrimp, rinsed and patted dry (shells on)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced (8 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix seasonings. Add shrimp; toss. Let stand 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, over high heat, melt half the butter. Add the shrimp mixture, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, and garlic; saute 2 minutes. Add the remaining butter, the chicken broth and wine; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are just cooked.
- With a slotted spoon, remove shrimp to a deep platter. To seasoned butter mixture in skillet, add scallions; over high heat, boil, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened. Pour over shrimp. Serve with sliced French bread to dip into sauce.