Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a Wolfgang Puck recipe and it is delicious! I found it again when I was surfing the net - as always, looking for something else, and voila I found it! I had eaten this a long time ago when a friend prepared it for us, my friend left for somewhere in Cuba -- never to be heard of again, more than likely she is very busy trying to build a house for her folks wheeling and dealing, so as to get what she needs -- she doesn't have time to write and then find someone that she trusts to deliver the letter to me! Anyway -- the recipe is truly wonderful! :) Wine pairing: If you're feeling adventurous try a full and oakey Chardonnay from Australia like Rosemount, Petaluma or Lindemans. This dish goes great with a number of the micro brews, such as Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada or the most popular Samuel Adams.
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 12 thin slices sourdough bread
- 2 cups baby lettuce
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, cut into 12 thin slices
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked and drained (12 thick slices)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and sliced (about 5)
- 1 tablespoon champagne
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- white pepper
- FOR THE SHRIMP:.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill.
- Sprinkle the vegetable oil over the shrimp.
- Grill the shrimp, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side; do not overcook.
- Drain and cut each shrimp in half lengthwise.
- FOR THE LEMON-BUTTER SAUCE:.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil & sweat the shallots for about 2 minutes.
- Do not brown.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine and vinegar and reduce slightly.
- Pour in the cream and reduce by half.
- Whisk in the butter and strain into a clean pan.
- Season with lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep warm.
- FOR EACH SANDWICH:
- Spread a little mayonnaise on one slice of bread and arrange a little lettuce on top of the mayonnaise.
- Top with three slices of tomato and season with a little salt and pepper, and arrange the bacon on top of the tomatoes.
- Top with the second slice of bread, a thin layer of mayonnaise and a little lettuce.
- Heat the shrimp (10 halves) in the lemon butter and arrange on the lettuce.
- Top with the third slice of bread and cut in half.
- Serve immediately.
- Cut the sandwiches in halves and serve along with a light salad or fresh French fries.