Chef Boy'R'Brandon's Note:
First and foremost, I have no clue why this recipe is called Barbecued Shrimp, as there is no Barbecue involved. . . That being said, this recipe is excellent, and I highly recommend you give it a try. I shamelessly stole this recipe out of Ralph Brennan’s New Orleans Seafood Cookbook and simply love the flavor of the shrimp. Give it a try and tell me what you think!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 large shrimp, unpeeled with heads and tails left on
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon water
- half of 1 lemon, seeded
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1Place the unpeeled shrimp, Worcestershire, spices, garlic and 1 tablespoon of water in a heavy 10-inch sautee pan. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half over the shrimp and add rind and pulp to the pan.
- 2Over high heat, cook the shrimp while gently stirring and occasionally turning the shrimp.
- 3After about two minutes of cooking, the shrimp should start turning pink on both sides, indicating they are nearly half cooked.
- 4If the shrimp are the colossal size, now add 2 tablespoons water to the pan. Otherwise, don’t add water.
- 5Reduce the heat to medium-high and continue cooking as you gradually add the cold pieces of butter to the pan. While stirring the shrimp, swirl the butter pieces until they are incorporated into the pan juices, the sauce turns light brown and creamy as it simmers, and the shrimp are just cooked through. This will take about two minutes total if the shrimp are extra-large and about three minutes if they are colossal.
- 6Serve immediately with crusty bread for sopping up the sauce and lots of napkins for cleaning your hands. Makes two servings.
- 7Note: If you can’t find shrimp with the heads on, still be sure and use unpeeled shrimp.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.3
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 124.2 mg
- Sodium 553.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.4 g