Recipe by Sharon123
I love the vegetarian riblets I get from the grocery store, but I always want more! And these are vegan. So delicous you will not care if they are meat or not! Here is a recipe that looks so delicious I have placed it here to try asap! UPDATE: I made these leaving out the chipotle powder and they are delicious! A meat eater friend said he couldn't tell the difference from meat, and another picky friend asked me to make her more! Enjoy! From CookEatDelicious.com, by Raven Chelanee.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons smoked dried chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon wet mustard (prepared)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Start with Barbecue sauce:.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook for an hour stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil an 8×8 baking dish.
- Combine the dry ingredients, first 5, together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine water, tahini, and soy sauce.
- Add wet to dry ingredients, once just combined start to knead the dough lightly until all is well combined(If you let the liquids and wheat gluten sit together for too long it will become an unstretchable dough, so work fast once combined).
- Put dough into baking dish and flatten it out to evenly fit in pan.
- Cut into 8 strips and then down the middle to form 16 ‘ribs’.
- Bake for 25 minutes and prepare grill.
- Remove ‘ribs’ from the oven and gently re-cut the strips so that they will pull apart easily after being grilled.
- Generously brush with BBQ sauce.
- Place ‘ribs’ BBQ sauce side down on the grill.
- Brush remaining side with BBQ sauce.
- Grill each side until it is nicely browned or charred, based on your preference.
- Serve immediately.