Prep 36 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
I watched Bobby Flay make a similar recipe on one of his shows. I've tried it a few times, but tonight I finally made a breakthrough. The ribs were tender, sweet, smoky, and spicy.
For the Marinade
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons gingerroot, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, choppec
- 3 baby back rib racks, about 2 . 5 - 3 lbs each
- 2 oranges
For the Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped roughly
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 7 tomatoes, very ripe & on the vine (medium sized)
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, diced
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons mustard, use a dark stone ground version
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2⁄3 cup peanut butter, smooth
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canned chipole bell peppers
- Mix together first 5 marinade ingredients in a bowl. Place ribs in a large baking pan & pour marinade on top. Marinate 3-24 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place ribs in a roasting pan, pouring marinade on top. Cut 2 oranges into thin slices and place on top of ribs. Cover pan with aluminum foil and place in oven for 3-4 hours, until meat appears to be falling off of bone.
- Pull ribs out of juices and onto a grilling tray.
- To make the Spicy Sauce:.
- Melt butter in a pan and and add onion sauteeing for about 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add tomatoes, garlic, and ginger. Cook on medium heat for another 5 minutes. Add ketchup, water, mustard, brown sugar, honey, cayenne pepper, Ancho Chili Pepper, Paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 25 minutes. Add Peanut butter, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Let mixture cool.
- In meantime, add chiotle peppers to a food processor Add the cooled sauce mixture from the pan. Puree until smooth. Cool. Use while at room temperature. You can refrigerate this for a few days or freeze for future use.
- To Grill the Ribs:.
- Brush a generous amount of the sauce on the ribs, both sides. Grill on a low temperature until sauce is cooked and caramelized. You will need to brush additional sauce as you are turning meat.