Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe came from an old cookbook that was given to me more than 30 years ago. Whenever I prepare this for guests, they always want to take some of the sauce home. It's simple, very good and satisfying.
- 6 lbs country-style beef ribs or 6 lbs country-style pork ribs
- 4 onions, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 (1 lb) can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle relish, drained
- Brown the meat in a heavy skillet (I use cast iron).
- Combine remaining ingredients in large, deep kettle (I have a large electric roaster that works great for this).
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add meat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Carol...I placed about 8 cube steaks in the crock pot along with sauce ingredients and slow cooked on high for about 6 hours. The house smelled great and the steaks melted in our mouths. Thanks
Thanks, Carol, for a very delicious and satisfying dish. The sauce is great and there is enough to flavor another dish. Will have this again.
Made this last night and it was easy and yummy - a winning combination! The bonus was the large pot of sauce that was left after the ribs simmered (I even served a boat of sauce on the side to pour over the accompanying potatoes.) Tonight, I'll use the sauce to make sloppy joes that I expect will be out of this world!