Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These ribs are first baked in oven and then finished on barbecue. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (July, 1981). Prep time includes grilling and baking time.
- 7 -8 lbs country-style pork ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 6 -8 dashes hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 4 -6 dashes Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine flour, paprika, garlic and pepper in large plastic bag.
- Add ribs to bag in batches, if necessary, coating well.
- Arrange ribs in roasting pan (large enough to fit ribs in single layer).
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until ribs are browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool while mixing sauce.
- Combine chili sauce, onion, sugar, vinegar, mustard, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce in medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking prepare barbecue.
- Remove sauce from heat and pour over ribs, turning to coat.
- Grill ribs, basting with sauce, for 15 minutes per side or until ribs are done.
- Cut ribs into serving pieces.
My family really enjoyed these. I used 6.5 lbs. of country style ribs and I baked them a couple days ahead of time. I barbequed them when the weather cleared up. They didn't get very brown in the oven, but they did crisp up on the grill. I don't eat ribs, so relied on the rest of the family for comments...thumbs up from all. Only complaint...not enough sauce! Thanks for sharing, Ellie.
Tasty ribs, I may have baked them too long "until browned". I recommend increasing the amount of sauce for better coverage. So far, my preferred precooking method is with a pressure cooker, for which I know exactly how long they need to cook, they stay moist and retain full flavor. I had to finish these ribs in the oven because we were due a downpour. Made for Rookie Recipe tag game.