- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (5 lb) beef chuck roast
- 3 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown roast in oil on both sides in 8-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Remove roast and set aside.
- In same pan, over medium heat, cook onions and garlic in drippings until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, including roast.
- Heat to boiling, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer 1-1/2 hours, turn meat over, and cook an additional 1-1/2 hours or until tender.