Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this in the Arizona Republic reprinted originally from the Chicago Tribune and thought the combination sounded delightful. When I calculated this recipe out to 8 ponts per serving I was even more thrilled. Tasty and hearty.
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup corn kernel, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 small jalapeno chile, seeded and minced, if preferred use a small 4 ounce can of green chilis for sensitive tummies
- 3 cups leftover pork or 3 cups beef, barbecue or 1 (18 ounce) containerrefrigerated pork or 1 (18 ounce) container beef, barbecue shredded bbq chicken tastes great too
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine cornbread mix, milk and egg in a medium bowl.
- Stir in corn, cheese, onions, and jalapeno or green chilis.
- This mixture will be thick.
- Pour into a greased, 8- inch square baking dish.
- Bake until knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat barbecued pork and mustard in a covered saucepan over low heat until hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
- Cut cornbread into 6 squares.
- Halve the squares horizontally; place on serving plates.
- Spoon pork on top of one square on each plate; top with the other square to make a sandwich.