Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is my recipe for barbecued pork sandwiches that will feed approximately 50 people. When I used to cater, this is how I made it for Graduations, Anniversaries, Family Reunions and company picnics! Hope this helps you out if you have a large group to serve, too!
- 14 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- hamburger buns or roll, of your choice
- Trim surface fat from pork.
- Place meat in large dutch oven or stockpot, cover with water and add salt, 2 teaspoons of the pepper and chopped onion.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until meat pulls away from the bone.
- Cool meat in broth until it can be handled. Drain off broth and save for a different use.
- Shred meat. Cover. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven or stockpot, combine remaining ingredients. (Don't forget the other 2 teaspoons pepper.).
- Bring to a boil, add pork and heat thoroughly.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with buns or rolls.
- Serves 50.