Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe comes from Dorothy Huang, who is a local chef and cookbook author. I think it makes a wonderful barbecued pork that tastes like the best Chinese restaurant's! You can slice the pork into 2 inch by 1/8 inch pieces and serve hot, or cold as part of a Chinese cold plate. Prep time does not include marinating time.
Top Review by Tired eDad
Dorothy/Leslie you are GEMS. My family and I LOVE this recipe. The next day briefly stirfry the remaining pork with cabbage and thinly sliced carrots in a wok with a few tablespoons of peanut oil and couple MORE tablespoons of Hoisin sauce. It's served here at a GREAT Chinese place and called BBQ Pork Cabbage......simply AWESOME!!
- 3 lbs pork (use shoulder, boneless pork roast or tenderloin)
Marinade for Pork
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce or 3 tablespoons Chinese barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat off pork and cut meat into pieces about the size of pork chops, 3/4 inch thick. (If using pork tenderloin, cut in half lengthwise).
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Dip each piece of pork into the marinade to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Place pork pieces on a barbecue grill over medium heat and barbecue for about 30 minutes or until fully cooked, turning once or twice while cooking.
- During the last 10 minutes, baste with the marinade.
- Tip: Barbecued pork has the best flavor when cooked over charcoal, but it can also be cooked in the oven.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and add some water to prevent smoking.
- Put the pan on the lower rack.
- Place the pork on the upper rack, 3 inches from the heat source.
- Broil pork pieces 2 minutes on each side.
- Brush with marinade; reduce heat to 350°F and roast for 30 minutes.
- Divide leftover pork into 4-ounce packages and freeze.