Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mesquite flavored barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, soak beans overnight in enough water to cover by 2 inches. The next day, drain beans.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 3-5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add beans, tomatoes, beer, molasses, garlic, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, broth and pepper. Stir to blend. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 2 to 2 ½ hours. If liquid evaporates during last hour of cooking, add a little water.