Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Southern Living Holiday Dinners 1982
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 (12 ounce) canfresh select oysters, drained
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- vegetable oil
- Combine egg and milk in a small bowl; mix well.
- Dredge each oyster in flour, dip in egg mixture, and coat with cracker crumbs. Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter in a large skillet until tender.
- Add next 7 ingredients, and mix well.
- Bring mixture to a boil. reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat 1 inch of oil to 350ºF. Fry oysters in oil until golden brown; drain on paper towels.
- Place oysters in sauce and simmer, uncovered 5 minutes, turning once.
- Serve immediately.