Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can prepare this in the 5 minutes it takes the oven to preheat and it’s delicious all the way to the bone!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees/.
- Butterfly the chicken and place inside up on a baking dish (I use a large pie dish).
- Spread 1/2 of the barbecue sauce over the topside of the chicken.
- Bake 1/2 hour.
- Turn chicken over and add the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cook 1/2 hour longer.
Your recipe saved the day! I was about to barbecue some chicken drumsticks when I realized my gas grill was out of gas! So, I went to my trusty ol' Zaar site and found your recipe. I had already par-boiled my chicken so I only had to cook the chicken for a total of 1/2 hour. Everyone loved the chicken! Thank you for sharing what I call "Save the day barbecued chicken!"
When DH realized we didn't have enough charcoal,and didn't feel like going to the store, I found this little jewel. It was very tender and juicy, but had a crispy BBQ flavored skin. I think that baking it at the higher temperature in the beginning was the secret. I will use the release foil next time, as some of the skin stuck to the pan. Delicious. The only thing missing was the smoke flavor. Thanks for sharing this easy recipe.