Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is easy and really good! This makes a great meal served with fries and coleslaw! If you are in a rush you can omit browning the chicken and increase the cooking time slightly, I find that the sauce will be thinner from the chicken juices if you do not brown the chicken first, browning also adds to the flavor of this dish --- if possible use only French's mustard for this, for some reason other brands of prepared mustard are just not as good. Adjust all ingredients to taste if you prefer a sweeter sauce add in more brown sugar.
Top Review by Kat's Meow
Another great recipe - my husband loves this! I make at least every other week. I usually don't use the bell pepper and substitute red onion for the white - it adds a nice sweetness. The bbq sauce is excellent - you won't be disappointed!
- 2 lbs fresh chicken thighs
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil (or as needed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 onion (sliced or coarsley chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup french's yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional or to taste) or 1⁄4 teaspoon white salt (optional or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the onion slices and green pepper (if using) on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then brown in oil on both sides.
- Place into the casserole dish on top of the onion slices.
- In a bowl whisk together the mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar, liquid smoke, brown sugar, chili powder, fresh garlic, cayenne (if using) and black pepper; mix well to combine, then season sauce with 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired.
- Pour over the browned chicken thighs.
- Using hands turn the chicken to coat well in the sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through and tender.