1/6 Photos of Barbecued Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs
This is easy and really good! This makes a great meal served with fries and coleslaw! If you are in a rush you can omit browning the chicken and increase the cooking time slightly, I find that the sauce will be thinner from the chicken juices if you do not brown the chicken first, browning also adds to the flavor of this dish --- if possible use only French's mustard for this, for some reason other brands of prepared mustard are just not as good. Adjust all ingredients to taste if you prefer a sweeter sauce add in more brown sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh chicken thighs
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -6 tablespoons oil (or as needed)
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 onion (sliced or coarsley chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4-1/3 cup french's yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional or to taste) or 1/4 teaspoon white salt (optional or to taste)
- 1Grease a large casserole dish.
- 2Sprinkle the onion slices and green pepper (if using) on the bottom of the baking dish.
- 3Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then brown in oil on both sides.
- 4Place into the casserole dish on top of the onion slices.
- 5In a bowl whisk together the mustard, ketchup, cider vinegar, liquid smoke, brown sugar, chili powder, fresh garlic, cayenne (if using) and black pepper; mix well to combine, then season sauce with 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired.
- 6Pour over the browned chicken thighs.
- 7Using hands turn the chicken to coat well in the sauce.
- 8Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through and tender.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Oven-Baked Chicken Thighs
Serving Size: 1 (356 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.6
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 45.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 191.0 mg
- Sodium 556.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: