Recipe by Charmie777
This is a great relish for hot dogs, hamburgers or grilled sausages! There are a few ingredients, but don't let that stop you!
Top Review by PanNan
I will come back to post the stars after I've tried it. I made the relish today, reducing it to 1/3 recipe (just DH and I). It smells wonderful, and I could hardly stand to wait before trying it. But, I covered it up, and will try with hamburgers in a few days. I came back to post the stars. YUM! It really makes ordinary hot dogs an outstanding meal. Loved the sweet/tangy onion flavor.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, sugar and salt. Cover and cook until the onions are wilted and juicy, but not browned, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic and red pepper. Sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in barbecue sauce, beer, molasses, mustard, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Simmer uncovered until mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature. Cover tightly and refrigerate 24 hours for flavors to develop.
- Can be made up to 1 week ahead.
- To serve warm, simmer over low heat.