These are the best! Not being a Fan of limas I just adore these. It may be the hot cheese or the sweetness of the brown sugar. I don't know but it's just too GOOD! It's a great side or serve over rice for a main meal. You can also skip the bacon if you're not into meat! You can add liquid smoke!
- 1 lb frozen lima beans, you can do a mixture of beans as I did in the picture limas and red beans
- 1⁄3 lb bacon
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 -4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) candiced tomatoes with garlic (Contadina)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jalapeno jack cheese (you can skip the jalapenos if you like it mild)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (If making this recipe vegetarian, use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce.)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a casserole dish (I use cast iron pot) brown bacon till crisp.
- Set bacon aside.
- Add oil to bacon fat and fry onions and garlic about 5 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients to pot.
- Bake at 350°F for 2 hours.