Prep 10 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
Great baked beans for a cookout! Reduce the brown sugar if you want your beans less sweet. This is from the Chicago Tribune Food Guide. Prep time includes bean soaking time.
- 1 lb dried small white lima beans
- 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄2 lb salt pork, chopped,cooked crisp and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Wash beans; sort.
- Soak beans in water to cover in a large bowl 8-12 hours.
- Transfer beans and soaking water to a large saucepan.
- Heat to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine beans, bacon, tomato soup, onion, bell pepper, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire saucen a large bowl; mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a 13" x 9" baking pan.
- Bake until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.
Very delicious way to fix dried baby lima beans (which I had tons of in my pantry... must have been on sale...). I used some left-over deli ham instead of bacon or salt pork, subbed BBQ sauce for the ketchup. Other than that, I followed the recipe as written (but I did cut down on the brown sugar -- I used 1/2 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend -- and it was plenty sweet for me). My husband LOVED these beans -- said they were much better than canned baked beans. I'm delighted I found a recipe to use up the rest of the dried baby limas in the pantry!