Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the best way I've ever eaten hot dogs. My mom made it for my family growing up and I still love it. Try it with mashed potatoes so the sauce can be used as gravy. The longer you simmer it, the better it tastes!
- 1 (12 ounce) package hot dogs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 medium chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Wash and dry hot dogs. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Brown hot dogs both sides in skillet with oil.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over hot dogs in skillet.
- Simmer for ½ to 1 hour. Add more water if necessary.
- If you want to freeze this, I find it's best to do it before the simmering step, right after you've added everything together. Just thaw and simmer!
Good recipe. My favorite part was the cutting them in half and browning them first. MMM
I had a package of hot dogs to use up and I wanted to teach my guys a lesson in picking dinners (they won't do it very often) so I made this. My plan backfired! It did not photograph well so they were both afraid to come home for dinner, but they absolutely LOVED it and I am left picking dinner almost every night. Thanks for sharing (I think)~
I just wanted to say that my husband and I love these. We eat way too many of them!!!