Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A hot, spicy barbecue chicken adapted from Ming Tsai. This is a recipe that you need to start the night before with the marinade. The Sambal Olek is a ground chili paste and gives it the zing. I buy the brand with the red rooster on the label with the green lid. Reduce the quantity if you want it less spicy, but it does mellow overnight. This also adapts well for a delicious chicken wing appetizer.
- In a non-reactive baking dish, or large ziploc bag just large enough to hold the chicken, combine the hoisin sauce, sambal olek, scallions, wine, garlic, ginger, and pepper and mix.
- Add the chicken, turn to coat, cover, and marinate overnight.
- Next day, remove chicken and discard marinade.
- Heat an outdoor grill or preheat the broiler.
- Spray the grill with nonstick cooking spray.
- Season the chicken with the salt and grill or broil it.
- Turn once, until brown and the juices run clear when pricked with a fork at the joint, about 15 minutes depending on how big your pieces are.
- Serve with a tangy, Asian-style coleslaw.