Recipe by Khandi Howard
This recipe comes from Stephen Piles Cookbook and is fantastic. My favorite shrimp recipe. We cooked it for the first time on vacation with my Brother-in-law and his family. They (as well as my children) asked me to simply boil a fairly large portion of the 10 pounds of shrimp in case they didn't like the barbecued version. Guess which shrimp got eaten?
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 16 -18 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup blanched peeled seeded and diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons scallions, finely sliced
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all the ingredients for seasoning mix thoroughly in a small bowl; set aside.
- Shrimp (yields 4 to 6 servings).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until lightly smoking.
- Add the onion, garlic, and shrimp; continue cooking until the shrimp are half-cooked.
- Increase the heat to high and stir in the Seasoning Mix, cream, tomatoes, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce; reduce the mixture by half.
- Add the scallions.
- Whisk in the butter by tablespoonfuls.
- Incorporate well and season with salt.
- Be sure to serve with a loaf of crusty french bread to dip up the flavorful sauce.
- This is fantastic!