Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Add a touch of colour to your barbecue with this recipe for marinated vegetable kebabs. Time does not include marinating.
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 4 cilantro roots
- 1 red chile
- 16 small button mushrooms
- 4 red peppers, cubed
- 16 shallots, peeled
- 16 small new potatoes, par-boiled
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- Peel the tough outer casing from the lemon grass. Finely chop the white bulbous part of the stalk, discarding the fibrous remainder.
- In a pestle and mortar or electric blender, grind the lemon grass, cilantro roots and chili into a fine paste.
- Place the mushrooms, red pepper, shallots and new potatoes in a large bowl. Add the lemon grass paste and mix well.
- Mix in the soy sauce, oyster sauce, turmeric and cumin. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Thread the vegetables alternately onto bamboo skewers which have been soaked in cold water for 1 hour. Brush the vegetables with oil.
- Cook the vegetable kebabs on a hot barbecue until tender, browning on all sides.