Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is my variation on a Thai dish call Gai Yang. It is a versatile dish which can be eaten cold at a picnic. It is a crowd pleaser.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken or 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces
- 3 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh coriander, including the roots of the coriander (cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- cherry tomatoes
- spring onion, curls (green)
- Cut the chicken in half lengthways, and if you like, remove the bones with a small pointed knife, leaving only the wing bones.
- If using chicken pieces, proceed directly to step 2.
- Crush the garlic with the salt to a smooth paste.
- Coarsely crush the peppercorns in a motar and pestle or a blender.
- Combine in a flat dish with the coriander, and the lime juice.
- Rub the mixture into the cicken on all sides, cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least an hour.
- However, this recipe tastes better if refrigerated over night.
- Barbecue the chicken halves or chicken pieces, turning the chicken every 5 minutes or so, until the chicken is no longer pink and the skin is crisp.
- If the weather does not permit, you can cook under a grill, (broiler) or in the oven.
- To serve the boned chicken, diagonally slice the chicken skin side up and place on a serving platter.
- If using chicken pieces arrange the pieces on a serving platter.
- Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes and curls of spring (green) onions.
- Serve with a salad of sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumber and spring (green) onions which have been seasoned with lime juice and salt only.
- A side dish of steamed rice goes well with this dish.
We just started the South Beach Diet and this dish fit perfectly into our plan. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts and marinated for 2 hours. It was tasty and moist. A great find!
Beautiful! I used two skinless breast fillets for the two of us, and cooked them in the pan so they got that nice charred effect. Such a quick and easy dinner, thanks for posting!
FANTASTIC!! This will be made over and over again in our house!! DH loved it!! I used chicken breasts...and loved the combo of flavors! Thank you!