2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Delicious grilled duck is done in two stages: first parboiling the duck in a tasty orange broth and then grilling the pieces basting with a fruity glaze. I used a charcoal grill, adding wood chips to the charcoal for a wonderful smoky flavor, but the duck can be also grilled on a gas grill or even under the broiler. The grilling time is approximate because it will depend on what type of final grilling is done.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse and dry duckling, discarding giblets and neck and cut into quarters and then cutting off legs and wings (to make 8 pieces). Pull off excess fat. Poke duck pieces all over with a fork. Set aside.
- 2Combine orange juice, water, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and ginger in a large dutch oven or sauce pan over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- 3Add duck pieces and return to a simmer (if duck pieces are not covered by liquid add another cup of water). Simmer covered for 15-20 minutes. Remove duck pieces from pan and drain well, dicarding liquid.
- 4Pat duck pieces dry with paper towels and poke duck pieces with a fork.
- 5Meanwhle while duck is par-boiling, make glaze by combining marmalade, rhubard, cherries, cinnamon stick and cloves together in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes or until reduced by half.
- 6Prepare grill with charcoal or use a gas grill or a broiler (I used a charcoal grill using charcoal with wood chips).
- 7When grill is ready, poke duck pieces all over with fork again and brush with glaze. Place duck pieces on grill with wings on the outside. Grill covered for 15-20 minutes.
- 8Turn pieces over, poke with fork and brush with glaze. Continue turning, poking and brushing with glaze every 15-20 minutes until pieces are done (when poked with fork juices will run clear and pieces are a beautiful reddish brown). I grilled my duck pieces for about 1 hour before they were done.
Browse Our Top Duck Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Barbecued Duck
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2669.9
- Calories from Fat 2146
- Total Fat 238.5 g
- Saturated Fat 80.0 g
- Cholesterol 460.0 mg
- Sodium 1421.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 46.7 g
- Protein 73.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: