Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
America's Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken drumsticks, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce
- vegetable cooking spray
- Mix sugar, paprika, mustard, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper together; rub mixture evenly over chicken; transfer to slow cooker.
- Pour 1/2 cup barbecue sauce over chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours.
- Position oven rack 10 inches from broiler element and heat broiler.
- Place wire rack in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and coat with vegetable spray.
- Transfer the chicken to prepared baking sheet; discard braising liquid.
- Brush chicken with 1/2 cup more barbecue sauce and broil until lightly charred and crisp, 10-15 minutes.
- Flip chicken over, brush with remaining 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, and continue to broil until lightly charred and crisp on second side, 5-10 minutes longer.