Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Mexican Cookshelf. How different and how good these are. Prep time does not include a 30-minute soaking for the clams.
- 4 1⁄2 lbs fresh clams in shell (in their shells)
- 5 ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2-1 fresh green chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- lime wedge, to serve
- Place the clams in a large bowl. Cover with cold water and add a handful of salt. Leave to soak for 30 minutes to rise out the sand and grit.
- Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes by placing in a heatproof bowl and pouring boiling water over to cover. Let stand for 30 seconds then drain and plunge into cold water. The skins should slide right off. Cut the tomatoes in half, deseed, and chop the flesh.
- To make the salsa, combine the tomatoes, garlic, corn, cilantro, scallions, cumin, lime juice, and chili in a bowl. Season with salt to taste.
- Drain the clams, discarding the ones that have opened. Place the clams on the hot coals of a barbecue, allowing about 5 minutes per side. They will pop open when they are ready.
- Immediately remove from the barbecue, top with the salsa and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over the clams.